It is a 700-year-old rock salt mine called “a monument of Poland”. It was placed on the first UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites. It is the most remarkable attraction of Wieliczka which was regarded as one of seven wonders of Poland. The mine was rewarded with the European Medal. It attracts tourists from all over the world. More than a million people visit this place annually. A visit in this historic place will be extraordinary and unforgettable.
Wieliczka Salt Mine
The Museum and Żupny Castle
It is one of the biggest underground museums in Europe which was established in 1951. Its collection allowed for creation of a unique collection of wooden lifting machines, ancestors of steam and electrical machines. Besides that, the museum includes a precious collection of mining maps, an archive and a salinary library. Besides the permanent exhibition in a mine, one can visit the second one which is in Żupny Castle. On the courtyard, which was a historic seat of administrators, there are fragments of fortress’ walls from the 14th century. There is also the oldest explorers’ shaft from the 13th century as well as the tower from the 14th century.
It is a perfect choice for people who cannot visit undergrounds of the mine or want to use its health properties. The graduation tower exceeds the surface of 700 m2 and aerosol created inside is similar to the one at the sea. Additionally, the visitors may go up the viewing tower which is 22 meters high and presents a panorama of the park and mining shafts.
3D street-art Solny Świat
This beautiful 3D painting is an example of a street art and currently, it is the biggest 3D art work in Poland. “Solny Świat” [Salt World] by Ryszard Paprocki is located on the Upper Square in Wieliczka. It is a painting vision of undergrounds and the salt mine. It includes characteristic elements of real interiors of Wieliczka’s old salt mines seen in a large rock crack.
Recreation and Education Center “Solne Miasto” [Salt City]
The center “Solne Miasto” is a perfect choice for people who want to spend their free time in an active way. An indoor pool, tennis courts, a gym or a fitness club – these are some of many attractions. This place offers also zumba classes or participation in amateur competitions.
Źródło zdjęcia: http://solnemiasto.eu/2014/06/page/2/
Climbing park Wieliczka Grabówki
A climbing park is a place for people who love nature and adrenaline. It includes 35 obstacles between the trees and the ground with different difficulty levels. Professional staff takes care of safety, gives necessary information and helps the visitors. In the Park, there are also basketball and volleyball courts, tennis courts and playgrounds.
Monastery of the Franciscan Order
A historic monastery of the Franciscan Order was built in years 1650-1655 at the Parish Church of the Stigmata of St. Francis of Assisi. It was created in the baroque style and was the first brick temple in the Małopolska province. It was established to defend the region from the infidel. The monastery was funded by the king Sigismund III Vasa. In the garden, there is a legendary acacia – it is an over hundred-year-old tree from Jerusalem. According to the legend, the fate of the salty region is connected with its vitality.
An historic church of St. Sebastian
Construction of the church began in 1581 after calamities occurring in the city. Wieliczka was pestered by cholera epidemic. Helpless people vowed that if the epidemic stops, they will build a church to express their gratitude. And they kept their word. The church is situated on a steep slope and is surrounded by hundreds of trees. There are precious paintings by Stanisław Matejko from the 16th and 17th century and polychromy made by Włodzimierz Tetmajer.
Źródło zdjęcia: http://www.wieliczkacity.pl/zawartosc/grafika/1310/3532_w.jpg
The palace was constructed in 1784 on foundations of the old town hall. Kazimierz Przychocki was its author. It is situated on the Upper Square in Wieliczka. Since 1818, it was owned by the Salt Mine but after 59 years it was taken over by the city. Since that time it is used for educational purposes. The palace was built in the neoclassic style and its most remarkable feature are double stairs and the central porch with a little balcony suspended on the height of the first floor.
The building was created in the 80s of the 18th century, at the today’s Skulimowski Square in Wieliczka. Its characteristic feature is the lat baroque style, broad stairs from the side of the western entry and a beautiful courtyard. When the Palace was sold to the Austrian authorities, it was designated to the mine. In the middle of the 20th century, there was a Municipal Public Library. After a long renovation and restoration, the Palace became a property of the treasury and was designated to be an office of the Krakow’s Branch of the Institute of National Remembrance.
Main Market Square
It is one of the biggest and most charming squares in Europe. It is placed in the heart of the Old Town. It was created in the 13th century and its surface is 40 000 m2. In the surroundings, there is the St. Mary's Basilica, Town Hall Tower and the Adam Mickiewicz Monument. In the middle of the square, there is a historic cloth hall which offers the entry to the Historical Museum of Kraków. The Main Square is surrounded by cafés and climatic restaurants. All these places have their history and charm. Every hour the St. Mary's Trumpet Call [Hejnał Mariacki] is played from the tower of the St. Mary's Basilica. The Main Square is a place you have to visit when you are in Kraków.
This baroque-renaissance castle is placed on the hill above the Vistula River. It was a seat of the rulers such as Mieszko I, Bolesław I the Brave, Władysław the Short or Władysław II Jagiełło. The castle has 71 exhibition rooms with 5 permanent exhibitions: State Rooms, Royal Private Apartments, Crown Treasury and Armoury, The Lost Wawel and Oriental Art. Wawel hills are guarded by a legendary dragon whose sculpture is at the Vistula River, just under the castle.
The Divine Mercy Sanctuary in Łagiewniki
A unique sanctuary is related to the life of Faustina Kowalska, a nun canonized in 2000. Because of the Divine Mercy painting and the tomb of St. Faustina, this place became popular among pilgrims. The sanctuary is situated at the monastery complex of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy. The famous painting of the Divine Mercy is a vision of Faustina, painted by Adolf Hyła. It was consecrated in 1944 and its copies and reproduction are present all over the world.
It is a historic building situated in the central part of the Main Square in Kraków. In the lower part, there are numerous stalls and shops where you can find souvenirs, jewellery and craft. In the upper part, there is the Gallery of the Polish Painting and Sculpture from the 19th century. Underground, there is a museum. The visitors should pay attention to the iron knife hanging in the passage which is the subject of local legends. It is said that towers of the St. Mary's Basilica were being built by two brothers. One of them was so jealous of the other one that he killed him with the knife and because of pangs of remorse, he killed himself too.
An extraordinary part of the Old Town, called the Jewish district of Kraków. Formerly, Kazimierz was a separate city where Jews from Kraków were living. Later, the cities have been merged. The district is considered a history symbol. In 1978 its monument along with the Old Town and Wawel were placed on the UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites.
Monuments, antique shops, restaurants, cafés and even streets are characteristic for the Jewish culture. There are 7 synagogues and 2 Jewish cemeteries which are worth seeing. In Kazimierz, one of the most popular events takes place – The Jewish Cultural Festival.